The Cranky Ol' Bat

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - RuPaul

2005-01-21

So, Dr Dobson, Why Isn't Jimmy Neutron Gay, Too??

I have never been a bible-thumper. I haven't gotten the Good Book memorized, and I have torked off more than a few of the self-appointed righteous by saying, among other things, that Jews aren't dammed to hell because they don't believe in Jesus....and even if they were, if the only people allowed in Heaven were like the ignorant clods who made such a remark, well then, I would happily march into Hell with my head held high. Then I launched into a monologue regarding blasphemy and their usurpation of God's role by determining who is saved and who is not....you can imagine how quickly it went downhill from there.

Although my mother was, for the most part, an atheist, and my brother is one also, I somehow became a believer. Call it a miracle, call it a weird kind of rebellion against my family, but that's what happened.

But, every now and then, some shmo comes up with something incredibly stupid that just makes me reconsider, say, Buddhism. (The discussion of how that brought me around to where I am today will be saved for a different time.)

Today's so-called Christian Bozo is none other than: Dr James Dobson, head crank in charge of Focus on the Family.

Why?

Spongebob Squarepants.

Yup. Spongebob. According to the Reverend, this cartoon character joins Barney and the Teletubbies as members of the Lavender Brigade. No, it's not because of his suspicious friendship with Patrick, either. (And you thought a chick without kids wouldn't know a damn thing about the dude who lives in a pineapple under the sea.....)

Nope. Spongebob is appearing in a video along with Barney and Jimmy Neutron advocating tolerance......and included with the video is a pledge mentioning "sexual identity".

Spongebob isn't parading around like the Village People on a gay pride parade, or playing tongue hockey with his co-stars. He's just promoting the idea that maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't beat the crap outta someone because he or she is a bit different. (The actual pledge is separate from the video. Neither Spongebob, nor his co-stars, mentions the words.)

Which, of course, as we all know, will turn the kids into drag queens and butches swilling Heineken. Within 30 seconds of exposure, no less.

I mean, really....who's next, Dr Dobson? Dora the Explorer? The Rugrats?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/20/politics/20sponge.html?oref=login

2 Comments:

  • At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll be happy to party with you in Hell, Kory/Desert Blondie I've long thought the same about the presumed sorting. I'll bring the Bailey's and the chocolate chip cookies. In the meantime, I look forward to reading more of your stuff here and at Rantburg.

    trailing wife

    P.S. newbie question: how do I register for comments? blogger didn't like my first attempt.

     
  • At 6:25 PM, Blogger Scone said…

    I suspect that the party-in-hell invitations are going out to extremists of all faiths and philosophies. Dr. Dobson and Osama drinking weak, tepid tea together-- doesn't it sound fabulous?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home