The Cranky Ol' Bat

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - RuPaul

2005-02-12

Best Damn Pie In Arizona

Why I woke up thinking about pie this morning is a mystery. But, I am prone to weird, random thoughts popping up on this here blog, and it's vaguely travel related (as in ROAD TRIP!!!), so here goes.

You gotta end up in this funky little truck stop place called the Trading Post in Wikieup. Wikieup is a dot on the map halfway between Las Vegas and Phoenix on US93. It's one of those places in the middle of nowhere, nothing to see around here, kids...

I was last there about a year ago, when I road-tripped up to Vegas with a friend of mine from New York. She loves to drive and hates to fly. And she had a cute rental car (yellow Mustang), so why the hell not? Off we went.

On the way there, I told Lizette we had to stop in Wikieup. At first she thought there would be something wonderful to see. I told her, no, we're gonna have some pie. She looked at me like I was nuts. Pie? I replied, it's the only way I can stand driving up to Vegas. Gotta stop for some pie.

This is glorious pie, folks. Admittedly, I haven't tried all the varieties (I've only had the peach), but I don't think I'm missing out by not trying the other two (apple and cherry). It comes to you in it's own little ceramic deep dish. The crust is perfect and the fat chunks of peach are in a wonderful glaze with a hint of cinnamon. I guess you could share it. I never have.....my traveling companion can have a bite but then they better get one of their own. Generosity has it's limits.

You can get it to go. I brought one back for a friend of mine who thought I was nuts, saying a little hole in the wall had the best pie in Arizona. He became a believer.

The Trading Post was originally built sometime in the 30's out of old railroad ties, and other crap lying around. It's on the east side of the highway going through what there is of Wikieup. They've spiffed up the outside a bit, so business must be good. I think it was sort of pinkish (didn't notice much.....sometimes I have a real one-track mind), and it had a gas station out front. When you come inside, there's toilets to left (25 cent charge to use for non-customers), a little gift shop with Arizona tchochkes to the middle, and the restaurant to the right. Head right. Set yourself down and do yourself a favor.....get the pie.

7 Comments:

  • At 2:58 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    Tried the place in Rock Springs?

     
  • At 3:19 PM, Blogger KoryO said…

    No...do tell, I want details!!

     
  • At 3:16 AM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    Just exit off of I-17 into Rock Springs and the only diner there, next to the only gas station has fabby pie. If you go there grab a whole one for me. I will refurbish ya.... :D

    I think peach was the one I had last time...

     
  • At 3:16 AM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    Just exit off of I-17 into Rock Springs and the only diner there, next to the only gas station has fabby pie. If you go there grab a whole one for me. I will refurbish ya.... :D

    I think peach was the one I had last time...

     
  • At 3:18 AM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    OOPS! Got a little click happy there... Oh well, best to leave it there instead of delete it as I want to emphasize it anyhow! :D

     
  • At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Boy I hate to burst your bubble. But I have to tell you I worked in the kitchen there for quite sometime. All the pie fillings come from a five gallon bucket, provided by shamrock foods. The only thing home made is the crust.
    Sorry.

     
  • At 10:54 PM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Aw, crap.

    Well...any secret to that crust, then, anonymous?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home