The Cranky Ol' Bat

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - RuPaul

2005-03-14

Great Circle Mapper

Yes, I know it's Monday and we should all be getting back to work. But sometimes you got to have something to play with at the office (while you're on hold, waiting for someone to call you back and filing just doesn't tempt you, that kind of thing....)

Here's a cool time waster. Click here to start plotting out flight routes for, say, Moscow to Sydney. Or from Phoenix to Honolulu. Pick out a pair and let the computer do the work.

You can really fool around with this thing. Change the map style ("azeqi" is the most bizarre option), plot several routes between different pairs of cities, find out which airport is farthest from your home, and SO MUCH MORE!!

Hey, it beats getting caught by your boss making a grasshopper out of play-doh. (Yes, that happened to me....fortunately my boss knew I was all caught up & she liked my attempt to make a bug....My boss is cool!)

4 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger eLarson said…

    What's an azieq? Sounds like the 964,123rd most holy site in Islam...

     
  • At 11:28 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    eLarson - you have to ask me that when I'm medicated, didn't you? ;)

    It's derived from "azimuth", and it's a way of depicting the horizon.

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    This was fun. I used the normal crusing speed for a Sopwith Camel for one route. It would take forever (the Camel cruises at about 70 mph).

     
  • At 10:18 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Well, yeah, Deacon Blues, but imagine all the adventures you could have if you could do it.....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home