The Cranky Ol' Bat

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - RuPaul

2005-03-02

Want a Cheap Cruise in 2005? Fuggedaboutit!

I have been known to amuse Tsar Charming by singing my own version of the "Let's Go Island Hop" jingle for the Hawaiian American Cruise Line commercials (it goes like, "let's go smoke some pot!" Yeah, I know, not very creative, but rather unexpected from a person who used to work for a police department....key words, kids, used to work. I feel much better now that I don't report to Sergeant Psycho of the Dumb Officer Unit.)

Anyway, lately cruises have gotten a bit of a reputation for being much more affordable than they used to be, what with all the new ships and post-September 11 discounts. With the dollar falling against the euro, in some cases it was cheaper to cruise than book hotels.

Not anymore. If you were planning on cruising, be prepared for sticker shock. Cruise prices are going way up, and good luck trying to find the discounts of the past. Some major lines are prohibiting travel agents from offering discounted cruises to their clientele.

So, if you would rather spend the cash on your bar tab, where can you turn?

Try Cruisequick or Cheap Tickets. I have never used Cruisequick, but I've had a lot of success with Cheap Tickets getting inexpensive airfare. (I've been a big fan of Cheap Tickets ever since they ate the difference when their computer system screwed up and booked me a flight at a higher rate than the one stated on their site.)

Just don't expect any miracles this year....especially since bookings for 2006 are going at a fast clip!

14 Comments:

  • At 12:56 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    I hear you can get cheap cruises on the SS Minnow.

     
  • At 3:14 AM, Blogger Scone said…

    No way am I going on a cruise until CNN goes more than a month without an "entire population of cruise ship gets deadly stomach virus" story. Too, too unappetizing.

     
  • At 4:32 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    I think I'd go nuts being trapped on one, myself...but my only experience close to being on a cruise was seven days on a small dive boat in the Bahamas.

    Actually, I think it's been, what, five weeks since there's been a vomit virus outbreak? I guess we're due.

     
  • At 4:20 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    KO,
    Cruise ships are not claustropobic feeling actually. On the other hand there has been a few of those illness things lately including my flu epidemic flu from the last one about 7 weeks ago. So maybe wait? :)

     
  • At 11:30 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    DSiAz - It's not just a cruise thing regarding those outbreaks. It's mainly people not washing their hands. EEEEWWW! I thought most people learned that stuff in kindergarten, but I guess not!

     
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    Meknows... Time to go grab lunch now!

     
  • At 6:38 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    The only cruise Connie the Short Bus Lady and I are likely to go on is down the creek that is in front of the Deacon Blues Pork Palace and Potables Parlour. Gus the Goose, Howard the Duck, and Lucinda the Duck will probably sail along with us.

     
  • At 10:22 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Deacon Blues, that is the most creative name for a house I've heard in a long time! ;)

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    Thanks, Kory-O. I call it that because my nick-name is Deacon Blues, (I seldom win anything) and Elsbeth the Pig lives there. Connir the Short Bus Lady makes wine and I make beer, hence "The Deacon Blues Pork Palace and Potables Parlour". I'm considering adding, "and Homefor Eayward Animals and People", but that's a long story.

     
  • At 5:03 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    Damn, it's Connie and the other word misspelled should be Wayward.

     
  • At 9:59 PM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Deacon, hey, no problem! Thanks for stopping by the blog!

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    I like you're blog. I actually got the name Deacon Blues because of an incident about 10 or 12 years ago. I go to a black powder shooting match at a friend's place in Kentucky every year. One year I scored a 0. I qualified as a Sharpshooter in the Army in the early '70s and this came as a shock. I went to the eye doctor and now I wear bi-foculs which really is bad for a marksman. Since then, I have never come close to winning so they call me Deacon Blues 'cause I need a name when I lose. Connie the Short Bus Lady got her name 'cause when I met her she was living in a short bus converted into a camper. Now she lives here. Half Empty has lots of pictures and so does the archives on Muck4doo's blog. I do like you're blog and thanks for letting me comment.

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    Damn again. It's your, not you're. Dopey me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home