The Cranky Ol' Bat

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - RuPaul

2005-04-07

Places To Avoid Going To If You Can.....An Ongoing Series of Opinionated Reviews

Back when the Jet Set Chick was wasting her daddy's money studying really, really hard to get that degree, I often daydreamed about places behind the Iron Curtain I wanted to visit someday. Someday, I told myself, I will go to Moscow....St Petersburg.....Vilnius.....Tallinn....Prague.

Kaliningrad, Russia's forgotten outpost on the Baltic, never popped up on my radar back then. It was forbidden for foreigners to go to the country's only year-round northern port, anyway.

I thought it was because of strategic military value, and all that. Possibly not. After reading this article from the BBC, I now think maybe it was to protect tourists from the locals.

4 Comments:

  • At 1:09 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    Very interesting article. Thanks and I like the blog.

     
  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    Another note: It's not surprising that there are still skelletons on some of the beaches, the Battle of Koenigsburg saw 170,000 dead.

     
  • At 1:01 AM, Blogger Scone said…

    Secession is their only hope. On the other hand, the whole "fishing" thing reminds me strongly of how a lot of Hawaiians live. Much more pleasantly, I suspect.

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Thanks, Deacon Blues!

    That's, um, interesting, Snooze!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home