The Cranky Ol' Bat

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - RuPaul

2005-04-24

The Tsar's Worth It, But I Don't Have It....

Ah, the joys of marrying a foreign sweetie. I know them so well.

The endless forms for Immigration, the translation of birth certificates and other documents to get a marriage license, and if you wanted to marry one of the natives in Turkestan, a $50,000 fee to the government for the privilege.....until now.

That's right, until this month, if you fell for a hottie in Turkmenbashi, it was going to cost you (and how!) if you were a foreigner. The government imposed the fee back in 2001. It was revoked without much notice until the new family code was published in the leading newspaper, "Neutral Turkmenistan". The government confirmed that it really was not a typo, but accurate when questioned by the BBC.

Romantic adventurers might still want to pass up the challenge, however. The Turkmenistan government allows very few foreigners to obtain a visa, and closely monitors the visitors and their local contacts.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:14 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    I got Connie the Short Bus Lady for free. almost, but she's worth MUCH more. If she'd say yes I'd ask her to marry me. Dobre outra. Dobre vecher. Hell, I don't know how to spell evening in Russian but I know how to say it.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    I'd say you came pretty close, considering you're trying to do Cyrillic in Latin....

    I am impressed!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home