The Cranky Ol' Bat

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - RuPaul

2005-06-14

Cocktail of the Week

Yes, I know I've been slacking on the so-called "regular features". I promise to make amends.

Anyway, yesterday was one of those days where you desperately need a drink and you still have 6 hours until you can sneak out of the office. I realized that I had forgotten to get my coffee fix once the withdrawal headache kicked in. I had one employer who can't figure out how to fill out a basic form, even after she was provided with an example sheet and coaching over the phone. Our IT department was doing their damndest to show why their jobs should be the next ones outsourced to Bangalore. And, oh yeah, it was supposed to be monthly close for our July payroll.

What a lovely Monday.

So while our brilliant computer geniuses decided to take their third smoke break of the afternoon (only one of them smokes.....I'm sure her unborn kid was having a nic fit, yeah, that's why she was out there), I took a rest from fixing the chingasos.

I remembered, I have a bottle of sloe gin. Sloe gin fizz. Deacon Blues said they were good. Logged on to the Cocktail Database to find the formula. (Yes, I did that on company time. Mama of the Year took her nicotine on company time, too, after creating a bunch of job security for me and my boss. I think we're even.)

However, I found a Gin Rickey Variation instead when I typed in "sloe gin". Hmm. Sounds good, I thought.

Pour into a highball glass:

1 1/2 oz sloe gin
1/2 oz fresh lemon juice
1/4 oz grenadine

Fill with 7 up, ice


So....went home and whipped one up when I came in the door. That, and the tiny tax refund that finally found me & the Tsar kept the day from being a total loss.

And then, when I looked the recipe up again to type it in here, what came up? You got it, "sloe gin fizz". It's pretty similar to the above, but there's sugar instead of grenadine.

Like I said, it was that kind of a day.

6 Comments:

  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    I don't put sugar in my sloe gin fizz, but grenadine.

     
  • At 9:02 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    Here's another one.
    2 cups lime juice
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 cups vodka
    8 cups crushed ice
    Combine lime juice and sugar in a bowl and wisk to dissolve sugar. Pour half in a blender, add 1 cup vodka, 4 cups ice and blend until smooth. Pour in to 4 glasses and repeat with remaining ingredients. Imbibe until unconcious.

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Hmm, that second one sounds almost like a daquiri, but with vodka. Yummy.

     
  • At 5:08 PM, Blogger Scone said…

    That sounds yummy-- what could I replace the gin with, though? ;-)

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    Sloe gin doesn't taste the same as regular gin. It tastes more like cherries to me.

     
  • At 10:14 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Scone -

    Maybe cherry flavored syrup with a bit of club soda? Sort of an Italian soda kind of thing, but stronger on the syrup? That might work.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home