The Cranky Ol' Bat

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - RuPaul

2005-08-29

I Always Liked the Name Katrina Until Now

Please say a prayer tonight. Do it for the City of New Orleans.

One of the first posts I did here on the Jet Set Chick was about my experiences in the Crescent City back in January with the Tsar. He had always wanted to go there, and we went there for his birthday. We hated to leave.

I can't imagine the French Quarter quiet, the Cafe du Monde without the beignets, and the music silenced. No laissez les bon temps roulez tonight.

The Tsar and I have been watching the Weather Channel in silence. I couldn't believe I actually saw the president tell people to get the hell out. I told the Tsar that I have never heard the president give a warning like that before any hurricane in my life.

I'm still having trouble thinking that no one will be able to enjoy New Orleans for a long time if Katrina hits the city as a category 5 hurricane. (Hurricane Andrew was only a category 4. This is as bad as it gets, folks.)

There are literally thousands who could not or would not leave the city. Some of them are going to try to ride it out in the Superdome. Others are going to try to make it through at the airport, apparently.

Heaven only knows what they will find in the morning.

New Orleans avoided Georges.

Maybe the city still has another miracle coming.

I sure hope they do.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    Very odd that I was thinking back in May/June that I would meet up with some friends in New Orleans over Labor Day weekend. Something tells me the trip would have been very depressing.
    Thoughts are with the N.O. peeps.

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Wow. Glad you weren't there when it hit, buddy!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home