The Cranky Ol' Bat

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - RuPaul

2006-02-21

I Leave Arizona For a Few Months.....

And stopped being acclimated to my ol' hometown of Phoenix.

First, a little travel advisory to those of you renting a car at the convenient Sky Harbor airport location. Yes, they do have a spiffy new centralized rental car agency location, with every single company represented. I sure hope you appreciate the architecture and the shuttle bus there, because you are going to pay for that.

How much, you ask? Try adding approximately 50% in taxes and fees to the stated rental rate.

Yup. You read that right.

It may be worth your while to take a cab to a location a couple of miles away if you are heading to the Valley of the Sunny Pollution.

Speaking of pollution, be sure to pack plenty of eye drops until Phoenix gets some rain. Me & the Tsar were ready to claw our eyes out the first night. It is that bad. Half the sales clerks we ran into were having what looked like allergy attacks, and the pollen readings out there aren't that bad. Everyone was griping about the crappy air. They have gone 120 some days without rain, and there is not a drop forecasted any time soon.

Asthmatics should definitely not even think about heading out there without their inhalers, either. (I forgot mine back in Florida. I got spoiled by my lack of need here in the Sunshine State and didn't remember to bring it. Not a good move on my part.)

Before I get a bunch of "stop hatin' on P-town" crap, I did enjoy the sunrise I got to watch while enjoying my whole wheat bagel with jalapeno cream cheese and a well-prepared cuppa. All that pollution and dust is good for something. And of course, they know how to make spicy food out there. This native (I have the birth certificate to prove it, pal) missed her version of "soul food". We stocked up on Trader Joe's, caught up with our old friends, and heard my future niece or nephew's heartbeat for the first time.

But, still.....it didn't feel like home any more. Me & the Tsar both couldn't wait to get to Orlando, step off the plane, and feel that blast of humidity as we came down the jetway. Sure, it was contaminated with airplane fumes. Compared to Phoenix, it was sweet as a meadow breeze. We drove back to the Space Coast with the windows rolled down and felt our skin and lungs forgiving us for the last few days.

Thank God it's the Jet Set Brother and his lovely bride's turn to come fly out here for the next family reunion!

11 Comments:

  • At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes I miss the heat and humidity of south Alabama. Especially when there is a foot of snow on the ground and the temperature is 20 degrees. Like now.
    Deacon Blues

     
  • At 12:16 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    Finally figured out my password.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    Hmmmm...
    Well, I have felt this way for the past eight years that I have re-visited thy Phoenix home. One can definately not go back though I have tried to do so for years... By the way, I have finally figured out where I am headed out to... sorta (It is now between the Bay Area (San Jose), Seattle, and Portland). The Bay Area has the most Healthcare IT jobs and of course the wine, but ugh the prices! Seattle has less jobs, but less ummmm... prices. Portland is just right as far as price and size for me and there is still wine nearby but alas the job market is really really weak now...
    Nevertheless, it rains in all three places so this confused former meteorologist will be a happy raindancer again! I actually wanted to ask your thoughts on all this when you were visiting but this cough (induced by the lovely cloud of pollen and dust I am now surrounded by) kept me from doing so...

     
  • At 12:25 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    I wonder if I will have to change my name to DragonStormInLimbo?

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    Dragonstorminaz, I live outside of Portland, Oregon back in 1990. Of all the places I lived I liked it best. I've been in San Francisco, Boston, New York City, central Maine, upper pennensula Michigan, all over the south. I like it here in East Tennessee but I still liked the Portland area best. It's not as rainy as Seattle.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    KO,
    It is just as bad as far as taxes and fees go elsewhere. Taxes and fees for my planned visit to Seattle to take in the possibilities there stand at 56%
    Wahoo!
    Milk the tourists! They are made of money and will come back like the cattle they are! :)

     
  • At 3:23 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    DB,
    Thanks. Portland would be my preference. I have family in both Portland and Seattle and thus have been there many a time (though mostly to Portland where ironically I have only distant relatives left). Unfortunately, the job market is still very very slow there wherease it is at least crawling in Seattle and appears ready for a job in San Jose anyhow. Granted I am leaving a place where things are at a gallop but I have never been known to go with the crowd anyhow.

     
  • At 3:24 PM, Blogger DragonStormInAZ said…

    ugh... I cannot type...
    replace wherease with whereas
    replace job with jog

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger KoryO said…

    Good to see you back, Deacon Blues! Love the picture BTW. Showing solidarity with the Danes? ;)

    DSiA, there was an article in Sunset Magazine in the Sep 2004 issue. You can read it online here.
    It was all about this one cool neighborhood in Portland called the Pearl.

    It's probably waaaaay too expensive, but hanging out there is free, right??

    Who knows, the Tsar would like to move to Seattle someday, so we might sort-of be neighbors in the future?

     
  • At 8:43 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    I lived in Beaverton. There was just an amazing zest for life there that I haven't found anywhere else. Henry Weinhard beer, all the winerys with their tasting rooms, the fresh fruit and nuts plus the mountains. Ahhh, I really miss it. The taxes were pretty high but not as high as Massachusetts. I lived outside of Boston when I worked at Badger Engineers in Cambridge. Waaaay to restrictive. You almost had to get a permit to fart there.

     
  • At 8:45 PM, Blogger Deacon Blues said…

    Oh, yes. The picture of me is in support of the Danes. I can't do much but I do what I can.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home